Local Information: Elizabethtown,Kentucky
Founded in July 1797, Elizabethtown is the Hardin
County seat. In 1779, three early settlers, Capt.
Thomas Helm, Col. Andrew Hynes, and Col. Samuel
Haycraft, built forts with block houses to use as
stockades for defense against Native Americans. The
forts, being one mile apart, formed a triangle. At
the time, there were no other settlements between
the Ohio River and the Green River. Soon, however,
other people came and settled around these forts.
Hardin County was established in 1793 and named for
Colonel John Hardin, an Indian fighter who had been
killed by Native Americans while on a peace mission
with tribes in Ohio. It did not take long for the
settlement to become an active community. In just a
few years, professional men and tradesmen came to
live in the area. In 1793, Colonel Hynes had thirty
acres of land surveyed and laid off into lots and
streets to establish Elizabethtown. Named in honor
of the wife of Andrew Hynes, Elizabethtown was
legally established on July 4, 1797.